Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Patio Math: Toddler Edition

As you all know, I built a nice patio in my back yard a couple summers ago.

Now we have a little girl a year and two months old.  Here's a picture of her on her first bike ride last weekend:


So when we're hanging out in the backyard, we need to restrain her in a reasonable way.  Forcing her to sit on our lap is not an option.  Saw this for 70 bucks at Hope Depot yesterday and thought seriously about buying it:


We decided against it because it seemed like a lot of money for a few hunks of plastic.  Then I got to thinking.  For $20 they sell 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of lattice like this:


What if I cut it into two 2 ft x 8 ft pieces and zip-tied them together?  I'll bend them into a circle with a 16 foot circumference.  How much bigger or smaller than the play yard would it be?  Would I need another sheet to make it big enough?

These are the things I think about.

UPDATE 5/6:
Found these gems at Menards.  3 will be perfect I think and it'll save me about $30!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Two did the job. Three was a little big. Now if my daughter would refrain from crying when I put her in there that would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete