Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Virtual Study Groups: Forums

I have been progressively preparing my students for a week and a half when I will be at home recuperating from knee surgery.  The work needs to be independent because, well, there are very few substitute teachers in the world that can teach advanced math topics with any level of competency.  If you know of any in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, let me know.

I have a decent sub lined up who is very comfortable with most Algebra 1 and Geometry concepts.  She knows the kids and is always there for me when I need her, so I am grateful to her.  But she's not going to be able to teach mathematical induction or the binomial theorem.  It's just not going to happen.

I have given them a lot of independent work in class, tried to help them get comfortable with reading the textbook, and facilitate as much online collaboration as possible.  A major piece of this is our online forums.

Early on, I required one question and one answer per week.  I gave them examples of what good and bad forum posts look like.  Although some have not met that requirement, many post much more than that.  And it's inherently helpful to their learning.  This sort of online collaboration is exactly what I envisioned!

I have opened up our HL Math moodle page to guests so my sub can access it while I'm out.  I'll share it with you too.

Take a look at the forums.  Some of the processing and learning going on is pretty great:
Chapter 4
Chapter 3
Chapter 2
Chapter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment